A different song will be showcased for each post, this song is:

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Somebody in the Braves organization has common sense.

Common sense can not be taught. It is not learned in universities or trade schools, not on playgrounds or baseball fields. You either have it or you don't. Ladies and gentleman, I want everybody to give a big hand to Frank Wren. He has common sense. Amidst the screams and the protests for Nate's head, the GM has delivered. Nate was optioned on Tuesday to AAA Gwinnett where he will attempt to regain a swing that as I have previously written, was never really quite there. In his place the Braves have brought Brent Clevlen of the fifteen day disabled list. You may be wondering why Gregor Blanco is not in a Braves uniform again? Well a stipulation states that if a player is sent to the minor leagues he can not be recalled for at least ten days, the only exception being if a player on the active 25 man roster gets hurt. This is not the end of the world however because I am sure, being the common sense kind of guy that Frank is, That Gregor will be on the team when he is eligible on July 31st. In the mean time we will have to make due with the melk man, who hasn't performed terribly in his limited duty. But this situation got me thinking who else could fill the giant black hole the Braves call centerfield? And then the realization came to me, guess who played centerfield in his days with Mississippi and other minor league organizations? You guessed it, the Hey-maker. Heyward played a total of 27 games in the minors in a position other that RF (remember he didn't play all that many down there to begin with). Not to mention anybody who knows anything about anything knows that he has the pure athleticism to make that transition, plus it is much harder to find offense from the CF position as opposed to the RF position. Meaning if I had a choice of what position i want to shop for this deadline or in the offseason, I would much rather have a RF hole which could be filled easily. For right now, Diaz could be an everyday right fielder with this torrid stretch he's been clubbing through. As well as a Hinske/Gregor/Melky platoon in left? BTW in case anyone is wondering, a name I absolutely love for left field who adds some versatility and a big switch-hitting bat is Lance Berkman, who I would absolutely give up a young minor league arm for. I know what you are thinking... "the trade" that sent Tex to Atlanta for a bevy of prospects. But that is not what I am suggesting. If a swap of Delgado and Schafer nets us Lance then hey I'm on board. Because you know what? Minor is close, Teheran is an ace, Arodys will be back, and there simply aren't enough spots in the rotation. Not to mention you would have control of him for the rest of this and next season. But anyway back to our little situation. Without a trade our outfield would look like a platoon in left, an all-star/Matt Kemp like center fielder, and a pure bat in Diaz in right. Not to shabby if you ask me. This however is not a "common sense" type of move, so I in no way am saying that Frank better do something now, because personally I believe this team is good enough to win. But Frank, if you are reading, lets get a bat in here please?

4 comments:

  1. Dude we need a SS. That was such a dumb trade!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think so, and I know he hit a HR the first day he left but the truth is he was killing the clubhouse. and that matters in October.

    ReplyDelete
  3. as a braves fan in los angeles i get to see the dodgers play, and honestly matt kemp would not be a good fit for the braves. he strikes out a lot, grounds into a lot of double plays, and gets caught stealing almost as much as he steals. not to mention, his defense has dropped way off along with his overall performance from last year to this year. i think their are other players who fit in better

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you are misunderstanding what I am saying here. I'm not saying go get Matt Kemp. I'm saying we have a player in Heyward who has a very similar skill set to Kemp, and we could transition Heyward to center.

    ReplyDelete